School Council Self-Nominations: We Need You!
September nominations are for numerous positions on the Executive. To nominate yourself, fill in the self-nomination form from the Welcome package and drop it off in the school office. Printed forms are also available in the school office.
List of Positions
- Chair or Co-Chairs – Works with the Principal and Vice Principals on School Council related matters; oversees School Council initiatives and provides guidance and support to sub-committees; and develops agenda and chairs School Council meetings.
- Secretary – Attends and takes minutes at each School Council meeting; prepares these minutes for draft review before each subsequent meeting; and works with a Communications Coordinator to ensure their publication in approved form on the School Council website.
- Treasurer – Attends and takes minutes at each School Council meeting; prepares these minutes for draft review before each subsequent meeting; and works with a Communications Coordinator to ensure their publication in approved form on the School Council website.
- Elections Lead – Facilitates the School Council election by collecting nomination forms and works with nominees to fill the school council positions.
- Fundraising Chairs (x6) – Bowmore Rocks (parent social), Bowmore Carnival, School Dance-a-thon, Pizza Lunch, Direct Donation Program, and Scholastic Book Fair – each chair(s) coordinates and implements a fundraising event plan with input from School Council. Funds raised in this role are key to student enrichment activities at Bowmore.
- Community Engagement Leads (multiple) – Make-it Fair, Movie Night Coordinator, School Kick-off BBQ – each lead coordinates and implements an event plan with input from School Council.
- School Program Leads (x2) – Lego Club, Lice Checks – each lead coordinates and implements a plan that is decided upon with input from School Council.
- Ward 16 Representative – Attends Ward 16 Trustee meetings and reports key learnings at School Council meetings.
- Ward 32 Liaison – Coordinates resources between the school and the Fairmount Park Community Centre by exploring ways to get more programming such as after school activities scheduled in the school and CC. Establish contacts with Ward officials to explore new ideas.
- Communication Coordinators – Team manages weekly email, council email account, social media and School Council portion of school newsletter. Frequent computer access required.
- Eco Lead – Work closely with the school administration and student ECO team to implement “green” initiatives. Update School Council on green team activities, identify potential grant opportunities and develop content for the monthly school newsletter.
- Volunteer Coordinator – Maintain and update volunteer contact lists. Encourage participation from parents, students and staff.
- Health and Wellness Lead – Work with, and support, Bowmore School to implement initiatives that support good mental and physical health.
- Caring and Safe Schools Lead – Work with, and support, school administration to meet their commitment to creating an environment that is caring, safe, peaceful, nurturing, positive, respectful and that enables all students to reach their full potential.
- Diversity and Inclusion Lead – Work with Student Council, Students and Administration to encourage social justice and equity within the Bowmore Community. Develop, plan and implement at least one Community Engagement event with a focus on diversity and inclusion with input from School Council.
- Grant Writer Lead – Develop grant submissions on behalf of Bowmore School Council. Opportunities may be researched or suggested by members of the Bowmore Community.
Volunteering is always welcome at Bowmore! We are always in need of dedicated adult volunteers who can provide support in a variety of ways. Please think about your interests and time availability, and contact us at one of the following:
We have lots of ideas for ways parents can help at Bowmore!